Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fishing at Kekerengu

Over the weekend we stayed in a lovely batch on the north east coast of the south island between Blenheim and Kaikoura. Jake (my son) and I spent all day Sunday fishing on Kekerengu beach. It was a lovely winter's day and we literally had the whole beach to ourselves.

We usually have a small bet with each other when we go fishing - a dollar for the first, biggest and the most fish. I can blame my brother Andrew for starting this family tradition! We were fishing with two 8 foot rods and using oily fish as bait.

Jake caught the first fish - a small but very respectable red cod. 1:0 to Jake.
After being 'down' for most of the morning I pulled back by catching a couple of medium size dog fish making it 2:1 to me. Jake then struck into a good sized dog fish - it was now evens at 2:2!

I pulled back by catching another good dog fish making it 3:2 to me before it was time to call it a day.



Jake won $2 for catching the first and the biggest fish although he had to give me a dollar back for catching the most fish. Jake was more than happy - he was a dollar up aferall!

You can eat dog fish but I couldn't be bothered to skin them so we threw them back. The red cod had no such escape ....... I am pleased to report it lived upto expectations and was very tasty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake pleased to see you beating your Dad at fishing - an old family tradition! I will show you how it is done in November.

look like Starry Spur Dogs (or Smooth Hounds) we get in the UK.

Uncle Andy

Anonymous said...

Jake pleased to see you beating your Dad at fishing - an old family tradition! I will show you how it is done in November.

look like Starry Spur Dogs (or Smooth Hounds) we get in the UK.

Uncle Andy